Thursday, May 13, 2010

Day 5: we love sleep

We had a pretty late start today. We didn’t have to meet in the lobby until 1:15, so I got to sleep in until 11! I caught up on lots and lots of much needed sleep. Mom, I’m sure you will be proud of me for being able to sleep so late.

 

Our first lecture was at 2 at Dublin City College with Dr. Roddy Flinn again. This time his lecture was on the Internet use and digital media. He told us about Ireland’s Internet usage (which isn’t very much).  A lot of the country still has dial-up Internet so they only will mostly only go on when they need information and news. He also talked about the impact of social media here compared to at home. So many things in all of the lectures are overlapping and it is so interesting. A lot of it has to do with Ireland being so much smaller than the US.

 

Afterwards, we had an appointment at a photography studio called Photocall.  We got to talk to three of the photographers at the studio, one of which is originally from Texas. He grew up coming to Ireland in the summers and after college in Texas he came here. He’s lived here for 8 years now. (Mom, he’s from Tipperary. He told me a bus to Nina is about 3 hours but it is only 5 euro. SCORE! I might go on Saturday if I can get a hold of Uncle Frank.) The photography studio, besides news photos, does a lot of public relations practices.  That brings in more money than news photos, so they have to do it to balance out their resources.

 

We were free to do what we wanted after that. I went to eat at a diner called Eddie Rockets. I got a chocolate malt, which was AMAZING, and chicken and fries. It was incredibly yummy. Now I’m just relaxing. Tonight will be an early night because tomorrow our day starts at 6:30 am and ends at 11:30 pm.  We are taking a train to Belfast in Northern Ireland tomorrow and spending the day there. I’m very excited, but I’m sure it will be exhausting.

 

Mom, if you read this, I will be up around 5 (8 pm your time) and I will try to video call you! Love you!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're having a great time! It would be great if you could meet up with some relatives. I will be waiting for your call. Love you!

    ReplyDelete