Thursday, May 20, 2010

Day 12: sad to leave, but happy to go

Today was our last official day in Ireland since tomorrow is just travelling. We had to be down at breakfast at 7:15 and on the bus by 8. We left Killarney and went on our way to Adare and the Cliffs of Moher, passing though Limerick on the way.

We stopped at Adare first. It claims to be the cutest town in Ireland. It was a good photo opportunity, but as of Tuesday, we weren't allowed to go see the castle. I was a little disappointed because that would have been really cool, but I knew what was coming would be amazing.

The Cliffs of Moher are absolutely the most breathtaking place I've ever been in my life. We were given two hours to explore, take pictures, maybe grab lunch, and just soak in the view. I took so many pictures that probably all look the same, but I thought maybe one of them would do the cliffs a tiny bit of justice. Meagan, Maggie, and myself just sat in quiet for a while and stared out at the ocean. I felt as if time was standing still.

We checked in at our hotel in Limerick and had about an hour to relax. We then headed off for our medieval dinner at Bunratty Castle! It was so much fun. It was in an actual castle, and the night played out like a real dinner would. We first went into a room with fiddle and harp players and were offered a glass of mead. We then went down into banquet hall for dinner, which was four courses. The entertainment was singing and music. Afterwards, we went downstairs to the "lower chambers" for coffee and tea. A bagpiper was playing outside. What a perfect ending to a perfect night.

On the bus ride home, Joe led a sing along of Irish songs since he forgot his Beatles CD. I can't complain, though. This was way more fun. We also had our last meeting tonight. We went around the room and all talked about our favorite moment of the trip. It was really sad, but really awesome at the same time.

So here we are. The last night, the last hotel, the last memories of the Emerald Isle. It went by so fast, but even yesterday seems years ago. It's sad that this trip and this chapter of my life are over. But I know what's waiting for me at home, the three most important things in my life: my family, my boyfriend, and my dogs. In the words of Meagan Stroud, I'm sad to leave, but happy to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment