Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day 3: I love advertising!

Well, this morning started off stressful and tiring. With very little sleep last night, none of our alarms went off. We had to be in the lobby at 8 am, and we woke up at 7:45. Amazingly, we were all ready in about ten minutes, but Caiti randomly had a nose bleed. Of course, we had no toilet paper left so we were late to meet everyone. After that, though, the morning was really great.

Today was my day for sure. We walked to the hotel where we had our first media lecture; It was from Gerry Davis from the Public Relations Institute of Ireland. It was so interesting and I really, really enjoyed it. He talked a lot about the social media aspect of PR. It was interesting to learn hear how the impact is both similar and different here than at home.The second visit was to Ogilvy Advertising Agency. The building was amazing. It was the old style architecture but with modern paint colors and décor. The woman who talked to us was a project manager at the firm. She told us about a day in her life and also did a case study on a campaign she worked on for raising awareness of mental health issues in teens. Then a woman on the digital side of the spectrum told us about her job. This is what I want to do with my life.

The rest of the day was free time for us. I came back and napped for about a half hour then just explored with Maggie and Meagan. We walked around the Temple Bar area of town which is kind of like the cultural district in Pittsburgh. We grabbed a quick snack at this incredibly cute bakery. We then went down to Grafton Street and walked around Saint Stephen’s Green. It’s a really pretty park that is a little like Central Park only a lot smaller. On the walk back to the apartments it started POURING. Of course, it was the only time on the trip so far that I didn’t take my umbrella with me. Then as soon as we got back to our building the sun came out and the sky was blue. I was already soaked. I guess my bad luck has not gone away yet.

I ate my first meal of Irish fish and chips. It was amazing. Now I’m just hanging out in my sweats.Hopefully I will get to bed early tonight because we are leaving at 7:45 am tomorrow for breakfast and then our trip to the Embassy!

No comments:

Post a Comment